As you prepare for Thanksgiving over the next week, we know looking forward to Christmas is unavoidable — and for good reason! Here at (in)courage, we are so excited to spend this season of Advent focusing on the best gift we’ve ever received: Jesus. To help you and your families make this season special and keep from letting the busyness of the next several weeks eclipse our reason for celebrating, we’ve collected an incredible list of Advent resources for you.
Some are free, some are paid; some have been created by DaySpring or (in)courage contributors, while others are offered by members of the (in) community. But all are about seeking Truth and Peace during the Christmas season, and all will lead you straight to Jesus. We are praying for you as we head into this season — praying that you would make room for Him, that you would find peace in Him, and that you would share Him with everyone you encounter.
DaySpring has a variety of Advent resources for you, from simple activities for your children to books and journals to beautiful candles and ornaments to commemorate the season. Click here to see all their Advent products. And for the next few days (through November 20), take 25% off your order with the code ADVENT25!
This year, DaySpring is excited to introduce Shepherd on the Search, an Advent activity set. The set comes with a plush shepherd and an interactive book, and your family can have fun every day as you hide the shepherd for your kids to find, on his way to finding the manger on Christmas Day. Click here to learn more about this fun family activity!
Here are a few more Advent books and activities to check out:
- A Moment of Christmas: Daily Devotions for Time-strapped Moms by Anna Rendell — This book is for the woman who craves a less crazed-feeling Christmas, who longs for a season that is intentional and full of joy. Including 25 devotions, each of them guilt-free, inspiring, and able to be read in 10 minutes or less! As you prepare your heart for Christmas by reading through these pages, you’ll be inspired to drop the pursuit of perfection and chase holy. And use the code INCOURAGEME for free shipping!
- The Greatest Gift: Unwrapping the Full Love Story of Christmas by Ann Voskamp — Ann helps readers celebrate the lineage and the majesty of God’s greatest gift, Jesus Christ. Beginning with Jesse, the father of David, The Greatest Gift retraces the epic pageantry of mankind, from Adam to the Messiah, with each day’s reading pointing to the coming promise of Christ. A perfect gift for the holidays and a timeless reminder of the true meaning of Christmas.
- Unwrapping the Greatest Gift: A Family Celebration Christmas by Ann Voskamp — In this beautiful book, Ann expands her presentation of the timeless Advent tradition of the Jesse Tree, so families may understand and celebrate together God’s greatest gift to us — His Son, Jesus Christ. Each day families can read the provided Scripture passage (in connection with the original book), engage with a specially written devotion to help children of all ages understand the Advent theme for the day, and participate in suggested activities to apply the theme.
- More Than Candy: A 25-Day Christmas Countdown That Counts by Sarah Mae — This book is a great fit for families who want to make their Advent calendar count for more than an excuse to eat sweet treats! It’s 25 days of ideas of activities to do with your family that matter to your neighbors, your local community, your family, and those in need.
- Let It Be Advent by Amen Paper Company — As a way of making a declaration over each day, they have chosen a word for each day of Advent to follow the phrase “let it be.” They partnered with dozens of women who submitted original writing to make a 25-day “Let It Be” Advent devotional. We love the way this devotion is a community effort!
- Truth in the Tinsel by Amanda White — Each day Truth in the Tinsel will lead you through a passage of Scripture, a corresponding ornament craft, and talking points for you and your kids. It’s more than a devotion — it’s meditation and hands-on learning for kids. It’s more than a craft book; it’s a memory-builder for your family. It’s more than an ebook; it’s an experience and adventure in God’s Word! (And for the family who’s a little less crafty or is pressed for time, you can always do the printable ornaments version!)
- Come, Lord Jesus: The Weight of Waiting by Kris Camealy — Advent in the church is a season of preparation rimmed with hopeful expectation. For 23 days before Christmas, we find ourselves waiting for Jesus to come. We busy ourselves with preparations — shopping, wrapping, baking, traveling, partying. Few of us manage to wait quietly. Instead, we fill our calendars with a steady stream of activity, perhaps in an attempt to distract ourselves from the stand-still feeling of the required waiting. Waiting is hard work for people who crave instant gratification. We want to see Jesus now.
- She Reads Truth Advent — Celebrate the nearness of our God, who stepped out of eternity and into time to interact with us. God sent a baby, His Son, to be our perfect Prophet, Priest, and King — to bring us salvation so that we might know Him. In Jesus Christ, our Prophet became the message, our Priest became the sacrifice, and our King became the servant of all. Christ was born for this! The She Reads Truth Advent community study runs Sunday, November 27 – Sunday, December 25, 2016.
- Kids Read Truth Advent Cards — Created with so much love from the SRT team, these cards will be a blessing to your family for years to come. Designed to engage kids of all ages, each card offers 1 key verse from the SRT/HRT daily reading, plus questions for three different age groups (2-5, 5-11, 12 and up).
- Sacred Holidays — This group desires to connect the heart of women, men, teens, and families to the heart of God during peak seasons of their lives — the holidays they celebrate, including Advent and Lent. Bible studies are available for women, men, teen girls, and families. Use the code INCOURAGED for 10% off your total order at Sacred Holidays!